When it’s about providing the body with an instant relief, nothing beats a good sport massage. Packed with numerous benefits, sports massage helps in:
- Improving flexibility of muscles and joints
- Abridging injury risks
- Enhancing blood circulation
- Reducing weariness
What Is Sports Massage?
Sports massage contributes in preparing athletes for their performances. It reduces swelling and stress in the fascia that happens due to overextension. Also, this massage helps preventing lesions and injuries, by enhancing flexibility, strength and agility in the muscles.
What Should You Know Before Getting A Sports Massage?
Sports massage is unlike any other massage; it’s designed specifically for athletes and workout savvies. Before stepping in your therapist’s clinic, it is absolutely necessary for you to determine when your body needs this massage. Therefore, we’re going to walk you through 5 things that you need to know before getting a sports massage:
- Always Get Post-Race Massages –If you have a big race coming up, book your massage appointment 3–4 days before or the day after. If you’re new to this, don’t test your body with a pre-race massage, as getting prior massages puts all runners at a risk of soreness on the day of race.
- Arrive At Your Therapist, Well-Hydrated– Dehydration during a sports massage can cause muscles and fascia to go stiffened, resulting as a more agonising massage. Make sure that half an hour before lying on the massage table you’ve consumed at least 3–4 glasses of water.
- Eat Light Before Massage –Take a light, low-calorie meal before your massage and save the steak and mash for later. Taking a heavy meal before massage can slow down your body and make you feel very uncomfortable while lying face down on the massage table.
- Refrain From Scheduling A Workout Session After Massage –Don’t hit the gym right after you’re done getting the massage as it will simply make the massage go inefficient. It is always better to wait at least a day or two before getting back to your workout grind.
- Take A Warm Bath –Taking a concentrated Epsom salt bath the next day after massage can allow your body to continue the cleansing process. Also, bathing can reduce any chances for soreness to occur in the muscles.
Need a sports massage therapy? Brisbane Livewell Clinic is here to help. With a team of experienced massage therapists, we have a variety of ways to help you recover any sports related injury. Also, if you’re looking for acupuncture services in Brisbane, get in touch and see your health get back on the track!